Being on vacation often means not being in complete control of your options. This can prove challenging when you take a fishing charter in Hawaii and land a big catch. You may have chosen a hotel room with no kitchen, or you may have simply not thought this through completely. Since we cannot ship fish to the mainland and you will likely not want to waste it, you need to know about your choices. Here are five ideas for your big catch when the fishing charter concludes:
- Beachside barbecue: Use your big catch as an excuse for a barbecue. Cooking fish over a fire is fairly easy, and you may be able to borrow supplies from your hotel. You can even consider roasting fish on sticks in much the same way you would heat marshmallows. If you prefer a more refined cooking experience, you can always buy very basic camp cooking supplies for the occasion and have them shipped back home after you clean them.
- Smoked fish: If you take your fish to a game processor, you can also have it dried and smoked. It will give your fish a unique flavor and provide your household with a healthy snack. Smoked fish can come home with you in your suitcase, as there is no refrigeration required. However, we recommend you request that the fish be vacuum-sealed, or its scent can transfer to your clothes.
- Share: On group charters, the catch is shared. If you are uncertain if you can cook your fish, you may decide to forfeit your share to those with the means to enjoy it. Another option is to see if you can get the rest of your party to agree to a beachside barbecue and cook all your fish in one giant get-together. This is a frequent practice with especially successful charters, and it gives you the opportunity to socialize.
- Freezing: Game processors can also freeze your fish and even provide a shipping cooler that you can check as luggage. You will want to use this particular style of cooler, as conventional Styrofoam boxes can leak and put you on the bad side of your airline. This is not an inexpensive option, but it is the best way to get your fish home in the freshest condition possible. It also means there is not a big rush to eat it before you leave for home.
- Trophy mount: If you had a really good day and caught that trophy fish, there is likely too much of it to make eating it practical. For these shining moments, look into a trophy mount. Your fish will be preserved to its true beauty and glory. Also, taxidermists can ship the finished product to your home, so you do not have to worry if the work cannot be finished before you leave.
Sea Wife Charters in Kailua-Kona is a full-service fishing charter in Hawaii with a comfortable boat and great opportunities for your next big catch. Book online or give us a call to schedule your next adventure.