Even if you’ve been fishing before, the prospect of fishing in the ocean can be daunting. There are a lot of considerations that you need to take into account before you begin your ocean fishing adventure. Fishing in the ocean brings its own set of challenges, but it can also be an incredibly rewarding experience that allows you to land a one-of-a-kind catch, particularly if you take advantage of the opportunities presented by charter fishing in Hawaii. In order to make the most of your experience, and to give yourself the best chance at actually catching a fish, make sure that you are prepared with everything that an ocean fishing beginner needs to know:
- Start with proper gear: The gear that is used for ocean fishing differs from that used for river or lake fishing in a number of ways. The fishing rods, for example, must be long in order to ensure a proper cast. Additionally, you should choose a medium or heavy-action rod that can withstand the force of the large fish and the strong flow that you will encounter while fishing in the ocean. It’s also important that you invest in high-quality, heavy-duty line to reduce the risk of losing your catch to a weak line.
- Get necessary licensing: It is essential that you have any necessary fishing licenses and tags that are required where you will be fishing. For more information about license requirements and how to purchase a fishing license, simply go to the Department of Fish and Wildlife website for the state where you will be fishing.
- Understand local regulations: In addition to rules surrounding fishing licenses, there are certain regulations and catch limits that you should be aware of before you begin fishing. Always do your research before going fishing in the ocean to ensure that you are not exceeding any catch limits that may be in place.
- Find a good spot: Whether you’re fishing from the bank or from a boat, it’s important that you determine the best possible spot for a good catch. Avoid overpopulated beaches and stick to spots where you know you will be able to find fish.
- Use the right bait: Catching the right fish requires you to use the right bait. Things like squid and shrimp are commonly used as bait for ocean fishing. It is imperative that you hook your bait properly so that it doesn’t fall off when you cast your line into the ocean.
To make your first time ocean fishing as positive an experience as possible, start with charter fishing in Hawaii with help from an experienced team. Sea Wife Charters has all of the gear, knowledge and experience necessary to provide you with an outstanding experience fishing in the ocean off of Hawaii’s coast. Once you catch a fish, our team will filet and bag your fish so that it’s ready for you to take it home and enjoy. If you’re ready for the ocean fishing adventure of a lifetime, simply give us a call and schedule your fishing charter.