The Hawaiian Islands are recognized throughout the world for their scenic vistas and stunning biodiversity. Unsurprisingly, though, not all of Hawaii’s aquatic residents are friendly. While many of the Pacific species you will encounter in this tropical paradise are benign, it is important to recognize that there is a whole host of potentially deadly species you may come into contact with if you are planning to engage in any water-based activities. If you are considering hiring a charter fishing service in Hawaii, you should be aware of the state’s most dangerous marine life.
You should always travel with a trustworthy local guide to ensure that you don’t have any negative experiences with marine life while you are visiting Hawaii. Here are just some of the dangerous aquatic animals you may encounter if you have hired a charter fishing service in Hawaii:
- Anemones: These interesting animals are stationary, and look quite harmless upon initial inspection. Don’t let them fool you, though, because they can pack quite a punch! Anemones capture their prey using their stinging tentacles, which can be extremely uncomfortable for humans to encounter.
- Barracudas: These predatory fish are known to travel close to shore, making them a cause for concern for many recreational swimmers and fishers. Barracudas like to hang out in the shadows of floating objects, meaning that you should exercise an extreme amount of caution if you decide to go for a swim off of your chartered fishing boat.
- Portuguese Man-of-War: Often mistaken for the more ubiquitous jellyfish, Portuguese Men-of-War are actually colonies of tiny interdependent organisms. Like anemones, the Portuguese Man-of-War stings its prey, and may sting humans in self-defense. These long, stringy creatures tend to follow the flow of currents and winds.
- Stingrays: While stingrays are not naturally aggressive, they can cause fatal injuries if accidentally provoked. You should exercise the utmost caution whenever entering the water, especially if stingrays are present. If you do happen to end up in proximity to a stingray, the best thing that you can do is slowly swim away from it.
- Tiger sharks: Sharks are the most infamous oceanic predators for good reason. These intimidating animals strike fear into many visitors who are unfamiliar with their relatively predictable behavioral patterns. If you are concerned about a potential shark encounter, you should consult with the company in charge of your charter fishing service in Hawaii.
In spite of the inherent dangers of ocean fishing, joining a charter fishing service in Hawaii is exceedingly safe if you are travelling with a skilled and knowledgeable local guide. You should only rely on well-qualified, dependable charter fishing companies with lengthy operating records in the Hawaiian Islands for your fishing charter tour.
Since 1982, Sea Wife Charters has been the premier provider of charter fishing service in Hawaii. You can count on us to deliver a top-notch charter fishing experience unrivaled by our competition. Our knowledgeable local guides can assist you in determining the safety of your catch, and will walk you through every step of the ocean fishing process. We are proud to offer some of the most comprehensive fishing charter opportunities in the Hawaiian Islands. Contact us today to learn more about our extensive fishing tour offerings!