In a time when many people are feeling more stressed than ever, it’s important to think about things that you can do to relieve stress and improve your mental health. From meditation to exercise, there are a variety of things that have been linked to reduced stress levels. One of the activities that’s been linked to stress reduction is fishing. Here are some of the therapeutic benefits of fishing that can improve your mental and physical health:
- Time to reflect: In your daily life, there is so much going on all the time that it can be nearly impossible to really reflect on everything that’s happening in your world. Fishing gives you a sense of calm and time to reflect on things peacefully, without all of the distractions that you’re usually bombarded with every day. Some people find ways to address the things that are stressing them out and solve problems while they are fishing. It’s amazing what a little bit of unhindered reflection can do!
- Mental challenge: Even though enjoying a fishing charter is tranquil and relaxing, it also requires plenty of mental engagement on your part. You have to pay attention to your form and be intuitive so that you know when it’s time to reel in your line. Catching a fish can give you a major sense of accomplishment that boosts your mood, improves your confidence and makes you feel better about yourself.
- Lower stress levels: Studies have shown that fishing can help reduce cortisol levels and regulate your hormones to help reduce your stress. The fact that you have to be mentally engaged with what you’re doing and you have to break away from your usual distractions (like your phone) means that your brain has the time to regulate its hormones.
- Physical benefits: Fishing requires you to stand, move around, use your arms and stay active for long periods of time. All of these activities are good for your body, and because fishing is so mentally engaging, you probably won’t even realize that you’re getting some exercise in.
- Social enjoyment: Going on a fishing charter with your family and friends gives you an outstanding opportunity to connect socially. Everyone can have the opportunity to experience the benefits of fishing while admiring the beautiful views out on the water. Even your loved ones who don’t especially enjoy fishing can still have fun while they read a book or catch some sun. This kind of social connection without the interference of cell phones and other distractions can bring your family and friends closer.
You can experience all of the emotional, mental and physical benefits of fishing by taking a journey with Sea Wife Charters. For over 30 years, we have offered private and shared charters to our guests. Regardless of whether you have any experience with fishing, we are confident that we can provide you with the guidance, instruction and equipment you need to land a great catch. Find out more about how our charters work and how to schedule your fishing charter by browsing the information on our website or giving us a call today!