There is no shortage of incredible things for kids to discover about nature and the animal kingdom. While your kids might be more interested in elephants and lions, there is a lot to be said for fish. In fact, fish are pretty fascinating animals that have been around since before the time of the dinosaurs. If you want to get your kid excited about fish before going on a Hawaii fishing charter, or you want to learn a few new things about fish yourself, keep reading for some of the most interesting facts about these watery creatures!
Fish come from one of the oldest animal families in the world, and they’re still going strong after 500 million years. There are about 25,000 different species of fish that we know of in the Earth’s waters, but there are likely many more that we simply don’t know about yet. Fish are known as vertebrates, meaning that they have backbones. Unlike other vertebrates, which have lungs, fish absorb oxygen with their gills. As water passes into a fish’s mouth, the gills absorb oxygen from the water and distribute it throughout the body. Here’s some other basic information your kids are sure to get excited about:
- Fish are cold blooded: Like reptiles, fish are cold blooded and don’t have any control over their own body temperature, like mammals do.
- Some fish are very, very big: While we often think of tiny goldfish or river trout when we’re talking about fish, there are a variety of giant fish species. The largest fish is the whale shark, which can grow to be up to 50 feet long.
- Fish are perceptive: Research has shown that fish have an excellent ability to perceive taste, sight and touch.
- Fish live everywhere: Different species of fish have the ability to live in saltwater and freshwater, meaning that fish can be found in virtually every body of water in the world.
- Fish can be fast: There are many species of fish that can swim very quickly. Tuna can swim at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour.
- Fish travel: Fish can cover great distances over the course of their lives. Salmon migrate thousands of miles every year to lay their eggs in lakes and rivers and return to feeding grounds in the ocean.
- Eating fish can be good for you: Some fish hold a variety of essential nutrients and healthy fats that can help keep your body healthy. Many nutritionists recommend eating fish one to three times a week in order to benefit from all of the great nutrients that they have to offer.
Check out our Hawaii fishing charters!
You can capture the excitement of fishing firsthand when you take a trip with Sea Wife Charters. Since 1982, we’ve been proud to provide our guests with Hawaii fishing charters that give them the opportunity to explore our beautiful area in a whole new way. We will provide you with the guidance, instruction and equipment you need to catch a fish, whether you’re an experienced angler or you’ve never even held a rod. If you want to find out more about what we have to offer, simply give us a call today!