Any time you’re preparing for some deep-sea fishing, it’s not just important to prepare yourself with the proper equipment you need to make the day a success, but to also ensure you’re following all the proper safety protocols. This is especially important if you’re going after big-game species that can give you a much larger fight, making the fishing a bit more dangerous and challenging.
If you’re going to be taking a fishing charter in Hawaii specifically for the purpose of going after one of these big game fish, you should make sure you always follow the instructions given to you by the captain. It is crucial to follow all safety regulations and all tips provided to you by the experts on your excursion so you can have an experience that’s memorable for all the right reasons.
Here are just a few examples of some of the safety protocols you should follow when preparing for a deep-sea fishing charter in Hawaii:
- Stay up to date with the weather: Offshore conditions can change in a hurry here in Hawaii, so it’s crucial to track the weather data both before you head out on your trip as well as during your excursion using a marine radio or satellite. If trouble appears to be heading your way, it’s best to know when to head in.
- Know where all safety equipment is located: Your captain will likely give you a full tour of the boat and a full safety seminar before you head out, so make sure you pay attention. Know exactly where all safety equipment (including life vests, life savers and more) is located and how to use it. The boat’s staff should make sure all of that safety equipment is operational before every excursion.
- Bring appropriate clothes and gear: Any clothes and gear you bring should be suitable for the conditions you’re likely to encounter offshore. Even if rain isn’t in the forecast, it’s still a good idea to bring some rain gear, because pop-up showers can happen with little to no warning out on the water. Make sure you wear shoes that will provide you with a solid grip on the floor of the boat.
- Bring food and water: You’re going to want to stay fed and hydrated while out at sea, especially if you’re planning on being out there for a while. Bring along some extra snacks and water to keep you set.
- Know the proper fishing tactics: When fishing for large, powerful fish, make sure you use the proper tactics to avoid injury. Always use the waves to your advantage so you don’t have to strain your body and arms too much. Maintain good posture, which will help you maintain leverage over the fish. Bend at the knees instead of pulling with your arms and back.
For more safety tips to give you the best possible experience on your deep-sea fishing charter in Hawaii, contact Sea Wife Charters today with your questions. We look forward to welcoming you soon!